Image from Carl Jung's Red Book

Welcome!

Feel free to read, comment, question, dialogue, muse, opine, wonder, teach, learn, joke, poke fun, lighten up, or get down and get serious about what you find here.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

First Blog....First Post

I'm making my way through David Whyte's audiobook The Three Marriages, so this is where I will enter the conversation, mid-stream, navigating the currents of relationships to another person, a work, and this precarious and unsettling connection to something within which I refer to as the Self, Psyche, or Soul...depending on my mood and which teacher-in-absentia I am learning from on any given day.

THE UNIVERSAL AND PHILOSOPHICAL:

Regarding the nature of passionate love (whether it be for a person, an inner calling, or an outer vocation), Whyte says that it is characterized by an "unconscious drive toward vulnerability", that despite all rational thought, common sense, or sound advice, one is compelled to follow the "hidden, non-negotiable conversation that will reorder and reimagine us, preparing us for the marriage to which our falling in love leads." To follow that longing despite the odds, despite the probability of rejection and humiliation, takes us toward an encounter with something that will utterly change us. 

In the following poem, he shows us that this encounter is not necessarily what we are dreaming it to be--happily ever after with our true love, fame and fortune in the perfect job--but something far more significant and perhaps terrifying to the small ego trying to control and manage our lives:

Self-Portrait by David Whyte

It doesn't interest me if there is one God
or many gods.
I want to know if you belong or feel
abandoned.
If you know despair or can see it in others.
I want to know
if you are prepared to live in the world
with its harsh need
to change you. If you can look back
with firm eyes
saying this is where I stand. I want to know
if you know
how to melt into that fierce heat of living
falling toward
the center of your longing. I want to know
if you are willing
to live, day by day, with the consequence of love
and the bitter
unwanted passion of your sure defeat.

I have heard, in that fierce embrace, even
the gods speak of God.

from Fire in the Earth
©1992 Many Rivers Press

In his recently published private journal, The Red Book, Carl Jung says, "He could find his soul in desire itself, but not in the objects of desire. If he possessed his desire, and his desire did not posses him, he would lay a hand on his soul, since his desire is the image and expression of his soul." I believe this is related to Rumi's statement (translation by Coleman Barks), "Lovers don't finally meet somewhere/They are in each other all along." Whenever we are feeling that deep, undeniable longing for someone or something, the desire that does not fade and that will not let us sleep, we are hearing the call of the Soul. This also reminds me of Joseph Campbell's exhortation to "Follow your bliss."

What happens when we refuse to follow that call? When we turn away from our desire, our longing, our love, out of fear that we will never have it , or having had it, lose it, we turn away from our own Soul, away from the Self.  What does this look like? In Swamplands of the Soul, Jungian analyst and author James Hollis describes "desuetude", a kind of depression and loss of vitality, as the emotional state that occurs when we are headed in the wrong direction. When we are driving ourselves away from what the Soul wants, she withdraws the life force, cuts the fuel line, kills the engine so that you come to a complete stop until you figure it out. Maybe she is hoping you will ask for directions!

THE PERSONAL and PARTICULAR:

 In college, I studied English poetry and Shakespeare, Theatre, and the sublime but completely impractical art of Oral Interpretation. Can you imagine a Masters' degree in anything more self-indulgent than reading poetry out loud?? Can you imagine my father's anxiety, wondering how in the world I would live on that? He tried so hard to get me to study teaching, so that I would always have a job. Well, I did what I had to do...studied what I loved. And I got a job teaching the art of reading poetry--and other things--out loud as soon as I graduated. I taught that for a decade, and loved every minute of it. Then I got a degree in Jungian psychology. There is nothing less practical than Jungian psychology when you work in a government funded agency. But those loves changed me...brought me closer to my Self than I could ever have imagined as a young woman entering college.  

I have also had experiences loving a person that made me a compulsive neurotic wreck. It was so much easier to follow the career desires! I have been absolutely obliterated by this: the mythology of who I thought I was, left shredded on the floor every time.  Luckily, when I picked up the pieces, I was somehow better. And bigger on the inside. A part of me would like to give up all this suffering for love, but another part of me just takes over and all I can do is fall into the center of my longing again and again, and see where it leads.

My Wild Heart

I have a wild passionate heart.
Restrained by rules and roles
Dutifully acknowledged for years,
She pulses secretly,
and tentatively
reaches out whenever she can.
Soon, in stillness and in play
She will break free
To love what she chooses.

You cannot control or capture
My Wild Heart.
You may only accept what she offers
(or doesn't offer, on her whim)
And tend to your own heart,
Beating wildly within.


BUT ENOUGH ABOUT ME...

Have you ever given in to a passionate longing for someone, despite your better judgment? Have you followed a dream, with trepidation and uncertainty, that you were told was impossible? Do you find yourself turning within, in solitude and silence, when you really 'out to get out more'? Marion Woodman would ask, do you go by choice or by compulsion? The answer is always "yes", but even when one is abducted, like Persephone taken down into Hades, there is also a certain amount of courage in the surrender. Where have you been courageous? Where have you refused the call and suffered the consequences? Tell us! Inquiring minds want to know!

10 comments:

  1. Hi! Great blog! Just posted this question on another forum and getting interesting responses based on my thoughts about why I am starting to believe men and woman apparently cannot seem to get along, understand each other, communicate with each other, or fulfill each other's needs on a continuing, long-term basis.

    I was wondering how that worked with our parents who stayed married for 50+ years, and yet, post-1960s, divorce is apparently the answer. Men blame it on us and "feminism". Women are apparently sick and tired of doing all the nurturing and getting little or no rewards other than raising their beloved children, and more than likely being dumped at 40 for the proverbial hot secretary (or videographer in the case of Mrs. Edwards).

    Over the last ten years, I've had three relationships of varying lengths with men 4-10 years older than me. When I was a kid (18-30) and dated men my age, my experiences (as I remember them) seemed within the norm, and the challenges we had were due more to economic security and career aspirations.

    The last three men in my life all had desires that I was unwilling or unable to fulfill, and let me know that I was somehow deficient as a woman, because of my inability to fulfill their expectations. But, I'm telling you, if it feels wrong, it's wrong (in my opinion).

    They left me, or I left them, not without regrets, but without any other option. I have determined now only to date men from my generation, who came of age post-1960s.

    Have you made similiar restrictions on love?

    It sucks to be Joy Devoe:
    http://www.nbc-2.com/Global/story.asp?S=12007526

    ReplyDelete
  2. The courage isn't in the surrender, you know better than that. The courage is in the willingness to cross the line of one's version of normality. In that case, then, you have plenty of courage. Don't limit yourself, take it all as it comes. It's all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way I look at it, if I refuse to accept what I've learned from experience, than I am bound to continue to make the same mistakes again and again, yes, no? I could not for the life of me understand why these (not much) "older" men, defined me as a "young lady", a "girl", "good wife" material (not that I necessarily had a problem with the terms, thought it quaint, but I see myself through a different lens).

    Then I realized that we are in fact using different "dictionaries" -- that's why some college friends stay friends for life; they share a vocabulary to define their lives. It is so difficult to find that kind of understanding.

    None of us know how much time we have left, but I am starting to believe I would rather concentrate my efforts on love relationships that have a chance of surviving based upon shared experience, than those that require a "devil-may-care" attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David: People always take issue with me when I use that word 'surrender'--there is a spiritual meaning that I am pointing to, although never seem to be able to communicate it well. I actually think we are saying the same thing. Maybe someone else can help out here.
    Erica: Where have your desires, even when denied, taken YOU? How have you been changed, forced to move beyond your vision of yourself? I know you are in a lot of pain still, and a stack of plays does not keep you warm at night. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emjay :) I have started posting again on my "dating" website and forum. Just experimenting really -- experimenting with this new idea of mine-- generational attraction -- and started by writing a really ascerbic profile looking for friendship with a man between the ages of 45-50 (the profile has since softened). Just trying it out to see it it can work; me being me.

    Well, apparently I've already met a guy, 49, with a job, educated, who enjoys the Humanities, and is also intelligent enough (in my definition) to know that we all have to become friends first. So we're going to meet. We've written and talked briefly on the phone. No promises or expectations, but at least I don't have to explain what John Belushi meant to us in high school. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In a year of deeply personal chaos, upheaval, and reflection, the real courage lies in confronting the issues life puts in front of you, whether by choice or compulsion doesn't really matter. The issues were THERE, the choice was to confront or deny. By examining these issues and realizing their truths, that was where true freedom existed and now, although much is not perfect, there is a grace that permeates and a life that exists that I had kept on the periphery. Life is GOOD and I plan to enjoy it. It is as simple and as complicated as that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon, I agree it takes courage to see and to FEEL what is before you, as difficult as it may be, rather than find ways to avoid, suppress, and deny. And sometimes it feels like we have no choice (the compulsion part) but I believe even then some part of us is agreeing to be taken along, to confront what has not been dealt with before. I guess this is what I meant by 'surrendering' to what is, rather than continuing to deny it. And ultimately, we are only free of "it" when we do so. James Hillman and others speak of neurosis as the refusal to suffer the real wound, the real grief, the real 'it'. If we can embrace it, feel what needs to be felt, we can then release it. I am feeling the truth of this more and more deeply every time I am faced with an 'it'. The joy, the grace, that comes afteward makes me break into laughter sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love The blog MJ.

    "...there is also a certain amount of courage in the surrender." Courage comes from the French word "le coeur" - of the heart. I see this as a necessary ingredient in the process, to have heart or lack of it determines the outcome. Surrender in the context of this conversation is to something greater, that passion and longing that is at once overwhelming and invigorating. I have experienced this as not only the high flying wings of desire, but also the burning in the heart for a different life than the one handed to me, and which I helped build. The sentiment of this poem gets it:

    HEALING

    I am not a mechanism, an assembly of various sections
    And it is not because the mechanism is working wrongly that I am ill
    I am ill because of wounds to the soul, to the deep emotional self
    And the wounds to the soul take a long, long time, only time can help
    And patience, and a certain difficult repentance,
    Long, difficult repentance, realization of life’s mistake, and the freeing oneself
    From the endless repetition of the mistake
    Which mankind at large has chosen to sanctify

    D.H. LAWRENCE

    This surrender D H Lawrence speaks of is to a process of change that comes from deep within, and with the healing perhaps fullfillment of one's highest or deepest longing. The act of surrender to what is includes this vital part of the Self. At any point in time this part defines us, moves us, urges us, really never shuts up or leaves us alone.
    Ultimately a person only surrenders to the inner Self, which is acting through them at that time. Following the battle for a better life, a richer, or more fulfilling existence we hopefully find a different experience of heart and that to which we surrendered to in the 1st place.

    EE Cumings:


    "i thank You God for most this amazing
    day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
    and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
    which is natural which is infinite which is yes

    (i who have died am alive again today,
    and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
    day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
    great happening illimitably earth)

    how should tasting touching hearing seeing
    breathing any--lifted from the no
    of all nothing--human merely being
    doubt unimaginable You?

    (now the ears of my ears awake and
    now the eyes of my eyes are opened)"

    Personally I find myelf in both these poems, rejecting, fighting, accepting, and finally repenting from what enslaves me, and then tasting the sweet fruit of a blossoming love and gratitude for life, more fulfilling, and full of beauty. My Dharma is to make peace with the parts that enslave while honoring the parts for change. In that process courage is a trust in an unseen force for good in my life, to who and what life will shape me to be. These days I am finding it more and more.

    Peace and good luck to all in your quests!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For me at this point in my life courage is about not reacting to abject fear when it crops up and grips my soul with tightening paranoia. This happens in my relationship when seemingly out of "the blue" my mind will begin to wrap itself around something my partner said or did that sparks distrust, fears of abandon, anger... you name it.

    I am learning to trust that my brain is insane sometimes, I am probably wrong, and to reach out for perspective from a friend rather than acting out on my parter. It's amazing what a little time can do, how truth ultimately reveals itself, and how love is completely opposite of fear.

    Soon I know that courage will look like following my creative self... but until then... thank you for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clyde, that was excellently well put, especially the surrender part. I can never find the right way to explain it for some reason, even though I know what I mean. I LOVE the DH Lawrence poem. Everytime I see one I am totally surprised that he wrote poetry. I need to find more. And you can never go wrong with cummings.

    I am particularly drawn to "...the endless repetition of the mistake that mankind at large has chosen to sanctify." That is a huge concept...going to print that up and take to work for sharing. It is very timely.

    Laura, I have certainly tasted that insanity! We are a nutty bunch of selves rolled into one being...not unlike our nutty families. Sometimes insane and sometimes deeply wise, sometimes all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete